SpatialKey is a Software as a service (SaaS) mapping and data visualization platform. We think it’s awesome. We create applications that let enterprise customers take large amounts of data they might have about their businesses and turn it into information they can use. We’ve been involved in a number of industries, from law enforcement to marketing, but three years ago we turned our attention to focus on the insurance market. Despite what you may think, insurance is not boring! The problems we are tackling help insurance companies remain solvent and be prepared to help their customers through increasingly severe and frequent disasters. Check out the progress we’ve made over the last two years in our 2013 and 2014 year in review blog posts. Also check out our last two releases from March and May 2015 to gain an understanding of the amazing progress we have made.
We are committed to building a sustainable business alongside very supportive clients, who are also pursuing competitive edge and innovation. We have been in business for over 6 years; and we already have strong brand recognition and equity, a profit-positive balance sheet, an exciting growth story, and a proven vision! We are growing deliberately by carefully hiring the best and most dedicated people in their industry to join our team.
About the team
We have a small team and we’re incredibly proud of that. We currently have 20 full time team members with 12 people on the tech team, 2 on the UX team, and 6 on the business, sales and account managements teams. We would love for you to be number 21. We are firm believers in the power of small, focused teams of only top talent. Staying small, lean, and agile has gotten us where we are, and we plan to keep things that way.
We’re all remote and work from home in 10 different states: CO, NY, CA, TX, NM, HI, NH, NJ, IL, MA and 3 different countries: US, Brazil, and Ukraine . We talk everyday on Skype or Teamspeak, and we live on Hipchat during the workday. Working remotely has its own set of challenges, and we require someone who can be productive and work autonomously, but who knows the right time to reach out for help.
We’re generalists who handle all sorts of technical tasks with efficiency, precision, and correctness. We’ve been building software for years; we understand it. We know how it works. We know how to keep it running and how to make it scale. We’re the kind of people who are doing this because we love it and it fascinates us. We think about the problems we’re solving while lying in bed before going to sleep. We’re definitely looking for someone who shares that same passion.
About the job
We take pride in building high quality software; our engineering and UI/UX team are the most talented people in the business. The SpatialKey platform has continued to grow and we need an equally talented QA Engineer to help maintain the high level of quality we strive for. Your main goal as QA Engineer will be to put SpatialKey product to the test, report bugs, and verify fixes. The QA team is still growing and you will have critical input in developing it. The following are some of the primary responsibilities:
- Manual testing and automation where possible
- Thought leader on quality and testing approaches
- Collaborate closely with QA lead, product management and development leads to develop test plans
- Understand product functionality and gather testing requirements
- Troubleshoot software issues and log defects
- Support continuous integration process improvement and innovation
- Improve, optimize, and identify opportunities for improved software development lifecycle
- Work closely with the developers and engineers to achieve a high level of code coverage
- Evaluate latest testing tools and options available in the market
- Develop and publish test status reports and summaries
- Help maintain the high quality UI and UX
- Ensure development team gets nervous when it’s time to test
About the technology
We love technology and new stuff excites us. We are constantly pushing the envelope to find new ways to innovate and make our product better. That includes you finding new technology to help us test software. While you will perform manual testing we are not looking for a button pusher or script monkey. We want your assistance to innovate and streamline the QA process to the point where we can automate a majority of our testing.
Open source is an essential element of our DNA. Our technology stack is Linux, Apache, Tomcat, PostgreSQL with PostGIS, MongoDB, Jenkins, Maven, Flex, Angular, Browserify, and Leaflet. We may not know everything about each of these, but we’re constantly listening, learning, teaching, and contributing. We use TestNG for our server side automated testing. Our client side/browser testing is still in its infancy and are exploring technologies like Sikuli and Selenium-Flex combination. If this is something that you have experience with or interested in exploring you input will help decide our tools of the future.
For this role we need someone who is creative and thinks outside the box. You will be putting the product through its paces and will need to not only test standard functionality but be creative with workflows, inputs and outputs. We need someone who can take responsibility in executing our test plans. You will not be working with detailed specs for every product and feature. You will get high level testing requirements from our QA lead handed down from product management and the development leads. The rest will be up to you by digging in, understanding the product, features and functionality and building out test plans that put the product through it’s paces.
You should be able to work autonomously and in small teams, multi-task across multiple projects and technologies. You also need to be self-motivated and continuously keeping up with new technology to drive innovation within SpatialKey.
- Ability to be proactive and work independently with limited direction
- Good communication skills and ability to function in a remote environment
- Experience translating requirements, writing and executing test plans
- Experience with distributed source control systems such as Git or Mercurial
- Experience with automation and testing frameworks
- Experience in software development environments using Agile approach
- Hands-on experience with Eclipse or other IDE development tools
- Java development for automation
- Experience with automated browser testing (Selenium)
- Experience testing REST based services
- Experience and knowledge of cloud enabled services / applications
- PostgreSQL & PostGIS or GIS related experience
- SQL and RDBMS skills – able to generate and troubleshoot queries.
How to apply
It’s easy, email us your resume and tell us why you want the job. You can email jobs-at-spatialkey.com. This isn’t a big HR hiring department thing, so speak directly and let us know why you’re a good fit for what we’re looking for. We want to know what makes you different! Compensation will be commensurate with experience, but if you’re worried about us meeting your salary requirements please include your required range when applying.