We’re hiring a system administrator to build out and maintain our SaaS infrastructure. Come join our small team at SpatialKey.
SpatialKey is a Software as a Service (SaaS) mapping and data visualization product. We think it’s awesome. We create tools that let enterprise customers take large amounts of data they might have about their businesses and turn it into information they can use. We’ve been involved in a number of industries, from law enforcement to marketing, but over the last year we have turned our attention to focus on the insurance market. Check out the progress we’ve made over the last two years in our 2011 and 2012 year in review blog posts.
About the team
We have a small team, and we’re incredibly proud of that. We doubled in size last year and currently have 10 full time team members, 7 on the tech team and 3 on the business team. We would love for you to be number 11. We are firm believers in the power of focused teams of only top talent. Staying lean and agile has gotten us where we are, and we plan to keep things that way.
We’re all remote and work from home in 7 different states: CA, TX, NY, NM, CO, HI, and NV. We talk everyday on Skype or Teamspeak, and we live on IM during the workday. Working remotely has its own set of challenges; so we require someone who can be productive and work autonomously, but who knows the right time to reach out for help.
We’re a small, scrappy, profitable company, but we don’t work ourselves to the bone. We’re the kind of people who are doing this because we love it and it fascinates us. We think about the problems we’re solving while lying in bed before going to sleep. We’re definitely looking for someone who shares that passion.
About the job
You will be responsible for the growth and maintenance of our SaaS infrastructure, which is built on the Amazon EC2 cloud and supports customers from all over the world. Amazon has allowed us to build an infrastructure that spans both coasts and will soon be expanding into Europe. You won’t just spend your day maintaining servers. We want someone that can architect from the top down to build a scalable, redundant architecture that will take us into the future.
Upon starting you will be responsible for two key projects: The first is improving our East coast infrastructure by implementing improved redundancy for our Postgres database tier. The second is a West coast build out on Amazon EC2 that will be used for disaster recovery. You won’t have to deal with the red tape that restricts you in most enterprise administrator positions. We move swiftly and are always innovating, so your ideas will be implemented in days, not months.
With SpatialKey, you get the chance to put your stamp on our offering and see your ideas come to life. You will also work close with our highly skilled development team and have the opportunity to do some development if you choose.
About the technology
We love technology and new stuff excites us. We are constantly pushing the envelope to find new ways to innovate and make our product better. That includes your contribution to finding new technology to solve business problems. This is not a job where you will only be maintaining servers. We want you to help us drive innovation.
Our current infrastructure is built on the Amazon EC2 environment, primarily on open source software. Here are a few examples of the software that you would be working with: CentOS, Apache, Tomcat, Haproxy, PostgreSQL with PostGIS, Rabbit MQ and MongoDB.
We are looking for a talented system administrator who can take full responsibility for our infrastructure and continue to improve our architecture scalability and availability. We don’t have enough people to pass the buck, although, we work very well as a tight knit team and lean on each other’s experience.
We value our clients data and privacy, so a person of high integrity is a must. You need to be a self-starter and able to work autonomously and in small teams. You also need to be self-motivated and continuously keeping up with new technology to drive innovation within SpatialKey.
- Well-versed in administrating Linux environments (RHEL or CentOS)
- Experience with architecting a production infrastructure from the ground up
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver to deadlines, on a self-driven basis
- Experience working in a time-sensitive 24×7 production environment
- Experience with troubleshooting software bugs, installation issues, and performance issues
- Apache / Tomcat web / application server experience
- Experience with PostgreSQL server
- Deep understanding of networking security concepts and firewall management
- Experience with Python/Bash/Perl scripting
- Define, implement and test verifiable backup and recovery procedures
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to be proactive and work independently with limited direction
- Experience in designing and reviewing security controls for Cloud-based deployments
- Broad technical foundation and understanding of network, operating system, database and application development design and support
- Ability to analyze issues and recommend solutions for the detection, remediation and prevention of security vulnerabilities
- Experience in developing and reviewing Hardening guidelines for Linux Operating systems in line with industry best practices.
- Deep experience with building a highly available and scalable PostgreSQL infrastructure
- Experience with building out an infrastructure on Amazon EC2
- Ruby scripting
- Experience with object oriented programming (Java, C++)
- Experience configuring and maintaining Mongo DB
- Experience with Monitoring and performance tools (Nagios, Cacti, Tivoli, OpenView, Splunk, etc.)
- Experience with SaaS certification (SAS 70, ISO 27001….) will be an advantage
How to apply
It’s easy, email us your resume and tell us why you want the job. You can email jobs-at-spatialkey.com. This isn’t a big HR hiring department thing, so speak directly and let us know why you’re a good fit for what we’re looking for. Compensation will be commensurate with experience; but if you’re worried about us meeting your salary requirements, please include your required range when applying.