We’re hiring a Junior Software Engineer to join our server engineering team. Come join our small team at SpatialKey!
SpatialKey is a Software as a Service (SaaS) mapping and data visualization platform. We think it’s awesome, and so do our customers! We create applications that let enterprise customers take large amounts of data they might have about their businesses and turn it into information they can use. We’ve been involved in a number of industries, from law enforcement to marketing, but three years ago we turned our attention to focus on the insurance market. Despite what you may think, insurance is not boring! The problems we are tackling help insurance companies remain solvent and prepare to help their customers through increasingly severe and frequent disasters. Check out the progress we’ve made over the last three years in our 2012 and 2013 year in review blog posts. Also check out our recent releases to gain an understanding of the amazing progress we have made.
We are committed to building a sustainable business alongside very supportive clients, who are also pursuing competitive edge and innovation. We have been in business for over 5 years; and we already have strong brand recognition and equity, a profit-positive balance sheet, an exciting growth story, and a proven vision! We are growing deliberately by carefully hiring the best and most dedicated people in their industry to join our team.
About the team
We have a small team and we’re incredibly proud of that. We currently have 20 full time team members with 12 people on the tech team, 2 on the UX team, and 6 on the business, sales and account managements teams. We would love for you to be number 21. We are firm believers in the power of small, focused teams of only top talent. Staying small, lean, and agile has gotten us where we are, and we plan to keep things that way.
We’re all remote and work from home in 12 different states: CO, NY, CA, TX, NM, NE, HI, NV, NH, NJ, IL, MA and and 3 different countries: US, Brazil, and Ukraine . We talk everyday on Skype or Teamspeak, and we live on Hipchat during the workday. Working remotely has its own set of challenges, and we require someone who can be productive and work autonomously, but who knows the right time to reach out for help.
We’re generalists who handle all sorts of technical tasks with efficiency, precision, and correctness. We’ve been building software for years; we understand it. We know how it works. We know how to keep it running and how to make it scale. We’re the kind of people who are doing this because we love it and it fascinates us. We think about the problems we’re solving while lying in bed before going to sleep. We’re definitely looking for someone who shares that same passion.
About the job
There is a lot to learn and a lot of opportunity to grow with SpatialKey as the company grows. We are looking for someone with a solid base of programming knowledge, a love of open source software and a continuous drive to learn something new daily. Don’t worry if you are not familiar with some of our core areas we will mentor and assist but be ready for the challenge. Here are some of the potential areas where you would spend your time:
- SpatialKey Server: Using Java, Hibernate and Spring to build out REST-based services for the SpatialKey front end.
- Geospatial (GIS) data loading & maintenance: The automation and loading of raster and vector data for our mapping platform. Using various languages/technologies (BASH, Perl, Ruby, Python, GDAL) and other open source GIS tools at the Linux command line to load large complex data into our mapping platform. Your work will have a direct impact on our industry-leading Flood Analyst and Flood Underwriting solutions.
- SpatialKey Cloud Analytics: Creating analytical services used to to process large amounts of custom data leveraging the latest parallel processing tools & techniques.
- SpatialKey geocoder: You will assist in maintaining and improving our in-house US-based geocoder built with Ruby (Sinatra, DRb and Sqlite).
- And much more…
We love technology and new stuff excites us. We are constantly pushing the envelope to find new ways to innovate and make our product better. That includes you finding new technology to improve our products. Open source is an essential element of our DNA. Our current stack is Linux, Apache, Tomcat, PostgreSQL with PostGIS, MongoDB, GridGain, Jenkins, Maven, Flex, Angular, Browserify, and Leaflet. We may not know everything about each of these, but we’re constantly listening, learning, teaching, and contributing.
We need someone who has the ability to work independently and function with little direction. That doesn’t mean we will leave you on an island. You will be surrounded by strong technical resources willing to help and answer questions but ultimately the work you deliver is your responsibility. You should be able to work autonomously and in small teams, multi-task across multiple projects and technologies. You also need to be self-motivated and continuously keeping up with new technology to drive innovation within SpatialKey.
- Ability to be proactive and work independently with limited direction
- Good communication skills and ability to function in a remote environment
- Experience with Java, C#, Python or similar language.
- Excellent problem solving capabilities (understands how to translate a problem into code)
- Linux command line experience
- Hands-on experience with Eclipse or other IDE development tools
- Experience in software development environments using Agile approach
- Experience with distributed source control systems such as Git or Mercurial
- Experience with Hibernate
- Experience with Spring (Understanding IoC Inversion of Control & Dependency Injection)
- PostgreSQL & PostGIS or GIS related experience (GDAL, ESRI…etc)
- Experience developing REST APIs
- SQL and RDBMS skills – able to generate and troubleshoot queries.
- Experience and knowledge of cloud enabled services / applications (Amazon EC2)
- Experience with Continuous Integration and related tools (Jenkins, Hudson, CruiseControl, Maven)
How to apply
It’s easy, email us your resume and tell us why you want the job. You can email jobs-at-spatialkey.com. This isn’t a big HR hiring department thing, so speak directly and let us know why you’re a good fit for what we’re looking for. Compensation will be commensurate with experience, but if you’re worried about us meeting your salary requirements please include your required range when applying.