SpatialKey is a Software as a service (SaaS) mapping and data visualization platform. We think it’s awesome. We create applications that let enterprise customers take large amounts of data they might have about their businesses and turn it into information they can use. We’ve been involved in a number of industries, from law enforcement to marketing, but two years ago we turned our attention to focus on the insurance market. Despite what you may think, insurance is not boring! The problems we are tackling help insurance companies remain solvent and be prepared to help their customers through increasingly severe and frequent disasters. Check out the progress we’ve made over the last two years in our 2012 and 2013 year in review blog posts. Also check out our last two releases from February and March 2014 to gain an understanding of the amazing progress we have made.
We are committed to building a sustainable business alongside very supportive clients, who are also pursuing competitive edge and innovation. We have been in business for over 4 years; and we already have strong brand recognition and equity, a profit-positive balance sheet, an exciting growth story, and a proven vision! We are growing deliberately by carefully hiring the best and most dedicated people in their industry to join our team.
About the team
We have a small team and we’re incredibly proud of that. We currently have 15 full time team members with 9 people on the tech team, 2 on the UX team, and 4 on the business team, we would love for you to be number 16. We are firm believers in the power of small, focused teams of only top talent. Staying small, lean, and agile has gotten us where we are, and we plan to keep things that way.
We’re all remote and work from home in 10 different states: CA, CO, KY, HI, NH, NE, NM, NV, NY, TX and and 3 different countries: US, Brazil, and Ukraine . We talk everyday on Skype or Teamspeak, and we live on Hipchat during the workday. Working remotely has its own set of challenges, and we require someone who can be productive and work autonomously, but who knows the right time to reach out for help.
We’re generalists who handle all sorts of technical tasks with efficiency, precision, and correctness. We’ve been building software for years; we understand it. We know how it works. We know how to keep it running and how to make it scale. We’re the kind of people who are doing this because we love it and it fascinates us. We think about the problems we’re solving while lying in bed before going to sleep. We’re definitely looking for someone who shares that same passion.
About the job
We take pride in building high quality software and our engineers take on a majority of that responsibility. We have operated with a part time QA resource for many years, yet continue to maintain a high level of quality. As the SpatialKey platform has grown, it has become more important to have a QA lead that can take ownership. You will handle a wide array of responsibilities as the QA lead:
- Lead and grow a small team of QA engineers
- Be a thought leader on Quality and Testing for the business unit
- Collaborate closely with product management and development leads to develop test plans and manage the testing schedule
- Understand product functionality and gather testing requirements
- Manual testing and automation where possible
- Troubleshoot software issues and log defects
- Support continuous integration process improvement and innovation
- Improve, optimize, and identify opportunities for improved software development lifecycle
- Work closely with the developers and engineers to achieve a high level of code coverage
- Evaluate latest testing tools and options available in the market
- Develop and publish test status reports and summaries
About the technology
We love technology and new stuff excites us. We are constantly pushing the envelope to find new ways to innovate and make our product better. That includes you finding new technology to help us test software. While you will perform some amount of manual testing we are not looking for a button pusher. We want you to find new and innovative ways to streamline the QA process through automated testing.
Open source is an essential element of our DNA. Our current stack is Linux, Apache, Tomcat, PostgreSQL with PostGIS, MongoDB, Jenkins, Maven, Flex, Angular, Browserify, and Leaflet. We may not know everything about each of these, but we’re constantly listening, learning, teaching, and contributing.
We need someone who can take full responsibility for testing. We don’t have enough people to pass the buck. You’ll be in charge of testing the applications that our customers are depending on, and we need someone who will own that responsibility. You will not be working with detailed specs for every product and feature. You will get high level testing requirements from product management and the development leads, and the rest will be up to you by digging in, understanding the product, features and functionality and building out test plans that put the product through it’s paces.
You should be able to work autonomously and in small teams, multi-task across multiple projects and technologies. You also need to be self-motivated and continuously keeping up with new technology to drive innovation within SpatialKey.
- Ability to be proactive and work independently with limited direction
- Good communication skills and ability to function in a remote environment
- Experience translating requirements and writing test plans
- Experience testing applications on Linux
- Experience with Continuous Integration and related tools
(Jenkins, Hudson, CruiseControl, Maven)
- Experience with automation and testing frameworks
- Experience in software development environments using Agile approach
- Experience with distributed source control systems such as Git or Mercurial
- Hands-on experience with Eclipse or other IDE development tools
- Java development for automation
- Experience with automated browser testing (Selenium)
- Experience testing REST based services
- Experience and knowledge of cloud enabled services / applications
- PostgreSQL & PostGIS or GIS related experience
- SQL and RDBMS skills – able to generate and troubleshoot queries
How to apply
It’s easy, email us your resume and tell us why you want the job. You can email jobs-at-spatialkey.com. This isn’t a big HR hiring department thing, so speak directly and let us know why you’re a good fit for what we’re looking for. Compensation will be commensurate with experience, but if you’re worried about us meeting your salary requirements please include your required range when applying.